Opportunities for Young People
This is the first activity to support the 'Schools In The City' concept defined at the Shine summit. The objective of Schools In The City is to enhance collaboration among local schools and schools and the city, communities and business - aligning plans and activities and sharing resources and expertise for mutual benefit.
The Mayor and Council are facilitating several strands of activity that are working these goals. The activities include:
- Discussions with the Chairs of secondary schools Boards of Trustees
- Joint planning with Whitireia NZ
- Encouraging mentoring with Partners Porirua
Secondary School Boards of Trustees
During May the Mayor, Nick Leggett, and Shine hosted a meeting of Chairs of secondary BoTs to discuss collaboration among the schools and with the City Council. All participants agreed it is worthwhile for Boards to get together to discuss common goals and strategies and educational issues.
Some of the areas of potential collaboration are:
- Retaining college students in Porirua basin
- Monitoring student transitions into and from colleges e.g. a shared open college recruitment information event, tracking NEETS students after college
- Professional development
- Shared curricula e.g. master classes for senior students in subjects not offered at all colleges.
The group decided to examine the information available on reasons why students attend schools outside the Porirua basin and to meet again in August. A summary of the meeting is: BoTChairs15May2014